Sunday, January 11, 2015

I need some help ..

Aiii Yai Yai!
Planning our trip to Chicago, Dallas, Houston and New Orleans has me at my wits end!
Surely, [the ability to live one's dream] can't be dependent on access to money.
It can't be about the money!


Because of a combination of early booking and providence, I bought my megabus tickets for the first leg of the trip for a total of $5.50.
I am not even kidding! That is a deal of a lifetime in itself, and a trip of this distance, by bus, should cost about $200.

How could I resist?

I bought a flight back home, on Spirit airlines for a $100 because I expect that baby Ominira will be tired of long bus journeys by then, and I will probably be tired of her too.

I chase my shot of radicalism with a sip of prudence.

I don't have much money.
I have $1000 available in my coffers, and I am selling as much of the household furniture, clothing and jewellery, I can do without, online on craigslist and etsy.

3 weeks, is a long time. An expensive time too, it turns out...as I work out the logistics of the trip.
Bombaclut!

On average, if I am unable to get a host family/home, I must expect to spend $40 per night in the cheapest motel or airbnb (a popular program that enables home owners all around the world to lease rooms for short periods online, cheaply). Not to mention travel expenses within the city, and groceries.

This is my budget for the trip so far:

Chicago: Feb 17th to 22nd
Airbnb for 6 nights: $40*6= $240
Cost of food for 1 week= $100
Cost of transport 1 week = $50
Grand total: ~$400

5 days in Dallas: Feb 24th to Feb 28th
Airbnb for 4 nights: $40*4= $ 160
Cost of food for 5 days= $75
Cost of transport = $50
Grand total = ~300

4 days in Houston: Feb 28th to March 3rd

Airbnb for 3 nights: $40*3= $ 120
Cost of food for 4 days= $50
Cost of transport = $30
Grand total = ~200

8 Days in New Orleans: March 3rd to March 10th

Airbnb for 7 nights: $40*7= $ 280
Cost of food for 7 days= $150
Cost of transport = $50
Grand total = ~480

Grand total estimate for the trip : 400+300+200+480
                                                    =1380
                                                    =~1400 to be safe.

Once I am done with my craigslist sales, I ought to have at least 1400, but I would like to limit my expenses for the trip as much as possible, by finding host families through my friends and networks, in those cities.
I am willing to buy and travel with my own air mattress, and sleep in the living room without a problem. I would just like a warm home, with trust worthy hosts, a kitchen, and good travel options so that baby can experience as much of the cities as possible.
I would appreciate the opportunity to visit with fellow Africans in the diaspora, more than anyone else, though. In Dallas and Houston, where there are tonnes of Kenyans, for example, I would be grateful to connect with women, or families who would be comfortable with accommodating us, and happy to throw in some money for their trouble.

I would love to have a very rooted, local experience in New Orleans too, and have both baby and I experience the potent intersection of creole, African and Black culture, through connecting with black sisters, brothers and families during our stay. I am reaching out. There aren't many brethren leasing space on airbnb or couchsurfing.com and I am working on calling hair salons, africanah restaurants, organizations and even churches if all else fails.

I mostly need assistance with accommodation.
If I could have that taken care of, I would not be pinching my pennies, and more comfortable in case of any emergency.

In this same breathe, I thought it wise to reach out to you, my friends and supporters, to contribute in whatever way you can to my journey, and my literary/flim project de facto.

This is my  list of needs:
1. Host families in Chicago, Dallas TX, Houston TX, and New Orleans. Also, any financial contribution to the expense of leasing housing space will also be welcomed and highly appreciated.

2. A Tablet device with a good camera.
Costs between $200 and $300 depending on the brand (I had a Nexus 7 but baby cracked mine, and it was perfect for taking videos of myself, by myself!!!)

3. A cheap but functional laptop.
My problematic laptop
 My laptop's entire keypad is out of order, and I usually plug in a PC keyboard to type. My battery is also no longer functional and I have to keep the machine plugged in to work. Any bumps on the bus can turn it off. This was the laptop I had since freshman year of college. Not good for a budding professional writer at all.

4. Double AA batteries.
 I will need tonnes. I am recording audio podcasts throughout the journey and will be interviewing Africans I meet about their 'pursuit of the American dream' or 'the pursuit of their own dreams in america'.  My journalist friend, Zak Rosen, who previously worked for Detroit's public radio WDET has been a very strong supporter of my work, and purchased an amazing recording device for me to use, and to interview conveniently.
My voice recorder

4. Any suggestions about people and places that I should visit in the said cities. I am particularly interested in people who are self employed, doing what they love, and/or living off-the-grid. I would be happy to visit with urban farmers, crafty artists, activists and organizers.

5. Any contributions towards travel expenses will also be appreciated. I would like to purchase abundant dried nuts, preserved fruit, and healthy snacks for myself and baby for the road.
Mixed bag of nuts, raisins, currants and cranberries.

If you are willing and able to make any financial contribution, you can do so directly to my paypal account through the email: imbuchiw@msu.edu
If you are not familiar with paypal or would like to contribute in another way, you can use Western Union or Moneygram.

You can contact me further at :
winnie.imbuchi@gmail.com
1-313-739-0989

I am a stay at home mother, with no legal authority to work in the USA, and have not been able to commercialize any of the work I do, to contribute to our family income. My Green Card application is in process as we speak, and it takes upto 3 months after they receive all documents, to grant me a new immigrant status, as well as a work permit.
As it is, Lorenzo, my husband is the sole breadwinner, and I am looking for all ways possible to ease the financial pressure of this trip, hopeful that the work I will be able to do, on myself and on my writing, will facilitate my entry into the work force, into a field that I love.

I put my need and my desire into the universe.
With lots of gratitude in advance.

Ashei.

No comments:

Post a Comment