Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Because the black struggle is an African struggle


Que Selma soundtrack GLORY ft John Legend and Common


I want to be black with you,
brother,
I want to walk this Amerika with you,
brother,
East-side Detroit down Jefferson all day with you,
brother,
I want to talk about everything with you,
brother,
From Stokely and X, to Biggie and Wayne with you,
brother,

I want to be black with you,
brother,
I want to be black when the doors shut on you,
brother,
I want to be black when they cursin you out,
brother,
I want to be defiant with you,
brother,
To organize with you,
To march with you,
To set up blockades,
To abdicate,
To pick up arms with you,
brother,
So when they come at you,
I will fight for you,
I will die for you,
Brother.
        I want to be black with you,
        brother

If my right to partake in the black struggle was not granted solely by the fact that I am a black African, then the fact that my baby and my husband are black should suffice.

The black struggle in America is an African struggle. It is a global struggle too.It is a relentless struggle against colorism, racism, capitalism and poverty. A struggle that I engaged in firstly during my post-highschool educational experience at the African Leadership Academy in Johannesburg,
where I was spurred into Pan-Africanism by the powerful comradery that existed among our inaugural class.


It is the black struggle that led me to then question the pedagogy that underpins the curricula and management of the aforementioned institute, that I had once so sincerely exalted and appraised. Give thanks to the ALA for teaching us, above all, to be critical and inquisitive. For were it not for their liberating me to use my mind, and to have the confidence to question authorities, I would not have even been able to reflect on my own experience at the institute, much less raise the alarm on issues that I think starkly compromise the Afro renaissance agenda.
With the Activist, Filmmaker and Writer M.K. Asante Jr,
At the Annual Black Power Rally 2011

It is the black struggle that led me to seek communion between the African Students Union and the Black Students groups at Michigan State University, to meet and connect with my P.I.J partner in justice , to move to Detroit, to build, to farm, to re-imagine my identity, my place, and my value in this world.

It is the black struggle that has allowed me to move freely and safely in the US.
It is the black struggle that has allowed me to even consider pursuing my dreams in this place, and to work to materialize them.

It is the black struggle that gives me energy to live and to confidently embody my black form, to love it and to share it globally.It is the black struggle that has embraced me, here, as I am, has healed me, inspired me, and transformed me into a more conscious advocate for love and justice.



It is day to day here in Detroit,
the black struggle is,
resilient.
the black struggle has,
come a long long long way,
and yet still has a long ways ahead.


More power and gratitude.
All power to all people.
At the memorial ceremony for Mama Charity Mahouna Hicks, activist and farmer from Detroit 

Ashei.

*excerpt above was written by Atieno Nyarkasagam. For more of my poetry, click to visit ATYENO






No comments:

Post a Comment